A Montessori Chowki Desk looks like a lap desk but is designed for a toddler to use on the floor (Chowkis are often called tables). It can be used for a variety of activities when a child wants to be on the floor rather than in a chair or just wants a very personal place to work/play. Maria Montessori observed children using Chowkis in India. She was so impressed with this workspace for kids that she introduced it in Montessori classrooms. Since then their popularity has grown and the Chowki can now be found in Montessori classrooms around the world.
Our Chowki Desk works well in small spaces as well as in large multi-use spaces, they are stable but light enough for the child to move. The desk top can be flipped so that either the Birch or white laminate is the toddlers work surface
Made in Denver, Colorado.
Features and Specifications
- Item #MCT
- Birch plywood construction throughout.
- Two side table top: birch on one side, white laminate on the other
- Fully assembled dimensions: 21"L x 15 1/2"W x 13"H
- Table-top dimensions: 20 3/4"L x 14 3/4"W x 11 1/4"H
- Leg width at bottom: 14 3/4"W
Weight: Approximately 7lbs
- Assembly required.
Materials and Finish
- All finishes are water-based paints and stains so that our furniture is non-toxic and safe for children. There may be an odor when first unpacked but will dissipate more rapidly with warmer temperatures and air movement.
Please note, all unfinished products are meant to be finished with stain, sealer or paint before use. Visit our page on working with unfinished toddler furniture to learn more.
- All products are made to order and typically take 3-5 business days to ship.
- Since we manufacture all Little Colorado products in our own facility, they start out as raw wood. We can offer every piece unfinished at lower prices if you would prefer to stain or paint it yourself.